Saturday, November 29, 2008

The shot and pics

Here are pics from the trip. There are musk ox, caribou, us in Deadhorse, the pipeline and sunset at about 3:00pm, and Happy Valley (there is a small DOT station and airport there... people live there). Enjoy! :)




So here's the video. It doesn't show the shot real well, because he's kind on the top of a little hill and the caribou was coming up at him. He shot it at about 10 FEET!! You should make sure your sound is on while it's playing- it's lots better that way. Make sure you pause the music though!
OH... I almost forgot to tell you how cool this was! After Sam got his caribou I was standing up by the road waiting for him, and the caribou started coming right at me. I crouched down with just my camera and started taking pictures. They literally were coming RIGHT AT ME! I was debating in my head whether or not I needed to move out of their way, stay where I was and they would go around me, or if I was going to get trampled by them. I must have moved just a bit because all of a sudden they stopped and just looked at me. I kept clicking pictures, then they turned and ran back down the hill. After they left I stood up and counted my steps (I take two steps to Sam's one) to the herd. 12 steps!! 12 steps away from 8 wild caribou!! It was nuts!

3 comments:

dntbaker said...

you guys rock.. devin and i were talking about you the other day about how perfect alaska is for the two of you and that we miss you. i will have to email you at work to get some more updates.

Michelle... said...

What a great video! I love how excited he was.

Cassidy said...

Can you email me your mailing address?