Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Here it is!

Well, now that 1. we finally have time and access to the internet, and 2. the house is FINALLY done, here is a better update on the blog including a slideshow! :) There are still a few small things that need done (the inspectors like it better if you have smoke detectors and a cover over the crawl space), but all in all, it's there. We've come a long way from a lot FULL of trees that we had to cut down and clear (you think I'm exaggerating, but I'm really not), to a really nice house. Up here they do energy ratings based on how tight your house is and the amount of insulation and all sorts of stuff- the rate from 1-5* (it goes up like 1, 1*, 2...) and ours is a 5 star! We were really proud of that, it's the best! :) It's got 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths, a BIG walk in closet in the master bedroom, and a lot of room downstairs. One of the spare rooms has a twin and a ful bed, a dresser, and a small entertainment center in it- that may help you imagine how the rooms are sized. There's a little extra room in it, but not a ton! :) On the slide you may wonder why I took a pic of our big empty wall, and what the electronic stuff is hanging from the ceiling in the other pic. It's our movie projector! We don't go to movies anymore- we just shoot them on the wall! :)

The color is growing on me... it turned out a little more yellow than I expected. I told Sam I wanted to paint multiple colors and he didn't like the idea a lot. So instead, I told him that one of his hunting trips he was going to come home to a painted kitchen. So- he went moose hunting and came home with one moose. I came home with 26!! :) He likes our moose in our kitchen. It turned out cool. They're just little wall paper cut-outs, and luckily they matched out paint perfect! He went on the hunt and a friend and I hung pictures, drapes, towel rods... plus some baseboard trim and cleaned the garage! Too bad the garage didn't stay that way! It's getting to be winter and cold and I want to park my car inside!

Another bit of info on the pictures... there's the one of all the trees is looking out the spare bedroom window towards the street. That's about how dense of trees our lot is. We only cleared enough for the house and just a bit more for room to move around. Can you believe it's barely October and we have snow!! We better get used to it- I'm afraid it's here to stay. Next time we see the ground will be April at the earliest, most likely May. Ugh... we better get our own internet hooked up by then!!

5 comments:

Michelle... said...

Yeah, it's done! I am so excited for you guys. Great job. Ready to come do one for us?

Cassidy said...

Congrats! Thanks for the pictures! The one shot of the view of the forest (?) made me realize that you actually live in Alaska. I know that sounds stupid, but its hard for me to imagine what that is really like. And do you have snow year round or what?
Can't wait to chat. If you get this by then, Tyler has Scouts tomorrow night and I think that'd be a good time. Call me if you have a sec!

Amanda Lauret said...

I still can't believe you built a house! I am so impressed! Congrats on finally finishing. It looks great!!

dntbaker said...

LOVE IT!!!! i am conteplating going to alaska in late june or july next year for a week..devin is going to be deployed during that time and i figure i can probably get Ben to pay my way up there so they can see Ezra and the baby girl..her name will be either Rylie or Avory-plus it takes me out of arizona during the hottest time of the year.
Congrats! tell everyone hi!

Hcatt and Jdogg said...

Your house is beautiful. That is amazing that you built your own house! Does that mean your staying in Alaska forever?